Booking a live band for a wedding or other special event can be a great idea. The atmosphere that live musicians can create is unmatched. Live musicians provide a level of excitement that may not be achieved by other musical options. But some couples may find the prospect of booking live shows a little overwhelming, especially if they’ve never hired musicians for an event before. Here are some tips to make the process go smoothly.
• Get recommendations. Just like you could before
book other vendors, seek advice from friends or family members who have recently married or had live performers at their events. They may have wonderful things to say about particular bands or artists. Individuals can also consider a resource such as www.hirelivemusicians.com, a worldwide database of musicians that can help couples narrow down their options.
• Decide when the musicians play. Live musicians can entertain guests throughout the ceremony and reception, but the
the more musicians play, the more they are likely to cost. Work with musicians to develop a schedule that works for your budget.
• Discuss the theme. Make sure the musicians understand the type of atmosphere you want to create. A band that usually plays songs from the swing or big band era may not be suitable for weddings with more modern themes.
• Understand fees. Musicians may have costs related to their agents, trucking (surcharge given to musicians who transport large equipment), mileage costs, travel time, lighting,
and other factors that affect the overall price. Discuss these fees before signing any agreement.
• Make sure the venue is suitable. Live musicians are great but not if the space is too small. Otherwise, the music may be too loud and overwhelming, or the group will not have enough space to settle. Consider these factors before making any decision.