Q: Lily Rivera wrote to ask how supporters of the Colton Area Museum would go about looking for directional signs on Interstates 10 and 15, as well as the streets of Colton town, to help draw visitors to the local museum, which is currently undergoing renovations and upgrades. As the opening day is scheduled for Spring 2022, “we would like to start the process that will help us place directional signage that will guide visitors to the museum,” Rivera said.

A: strong> First, congratulations to the Town of Colton and the museum’s volunteer board of directors for their efforts to preserve local heritage. Here is the mission statement for this museum, located in the former Carnegie Public Library at 380 North La Cadena Drive in Colton: “The Colton Area Museum is dedicated to educating the public about the history of the Colton area by collecting , preserving and displaying historical artefacts.In fulfilling its mission, the museum also hosts monthly meetings on topics of historical interest and presents exhibits at annual community events such as Unity Day and Discover Colton. “

Regarding directional signs on city streets, supporters of the library should appeal to city council. It would be decided at the city level. Museum supporters could either attend a council meeting to make such a request, or write or call city hall.

Regarding the installation of direction signs on highways, this will not happen until this museum opens and can show a great presence. We asked the people of Caltrans District 8 about this request and received the following explanation from spokesperson Jocelyn Whitfield. “Caltrans follows the California Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices guidelines for all of its signs and sign criteria. According to CAMUTCD table 2D-102, an urban museum must have a minimum annual attendance of 500,000 people for museum signs to be approved. As a result, new museums do not meet the requirement to install signs on the day they open. This also applies to renovations to existing museums, as there would be no attendance tally to rely on before the scheduled opening date. sign should be placed within two miles of the museum. Thus, a directional sign would be authorized on Highway 10, but not on Highway 15 because of its distance from the museum.

Q: Tony and Ivy Villa from Temecula have written on behalf of themselves and their neighbors about another neighbor parking a Caltrans work truck on their street overnight at his residence. The Villas said this neighbor brings the truck home after work and drives it on weekends and days off as a personal RV. “We don’t understand how a state vehicle is allowed to be brought home and used for personal purposes. It is an abuse of our tax money, ”they wrote.

A: Caltrans employees are permitted to return vehicles home under a Home Storage Permit which must be renewed annually. There are two types of permits issued: essential permits and economic permits. Essential permits are only granted if the vehicle is used for state activities. The essential permit is intended for emergency responders who use specialized equipment and must be available to respond to emergencies within the hour. Economic permits are for employees who have an approved home office or use the vehicle as an office while working in the field, or if their job requires half of their time (or more) to work in the field.

Caltrans spokeswoman Terri Kasinga said our readers may report their concerns to Caltrans. All Caltrans equipment is fitted with GPS tracking equipment, Kasinga noted.

Are you going to work in the Inland Empire? Do you spend a lot of time in your vehicle? Have questions about driving, highways, toll roads or parking? If so, write or call On the Road and we’ll try to answer your questions. Please include your question or problem, name, city of residence, phone number, and email address. Write to [email protected] or call 951-368-9670.


Anti-containment rally organizer who came forward for the People's Party has COVID-19


The wedding music trends I see taking shape in 2021

Check Also